As a Health Information Custodian (HIC) under the Personal Health Information Privacy Act (2004), I am bound by
law and ethics to safeguard your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
My responsibilities include:
• keep accurate and up-to-date records
• safeguard the medical records in my possession
• retain and destroy records in accordance with the law
• collect only the information that may be necessary for your care
• disclose information to third parties only with your express consent, or when necessary for legal reasons
• share information with other healthcare providers and organizations on a ‘need to know’ basis where required for your health
Your request for care implies consent for my collection, use and disclosure of your personal information for purposes related
to your care. As noted above, other purposes require your express consent.
Your rights include:
• access to view your records
• withdraw or change your consent
• request amendments to your records
• make a complaint to the IPC about any breach of your privacy
• obtain copies of your records (please request the fees for this service)
• understand the purposes for collection, use and disclosure of your personal health information
• refuse or give consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal health information, except where required by law
• complain to the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (IPC) about a custodian’s refusal to give you access to all or part of a health record
When you book appointments through our online booking system, we collect and store information about you necessary to complete your booking and to provide you with the service you wish to receive.
have specific questions or complaints about how your information is handled, please let me know.